Melbourne Youth Chorale is a not-for-profit incorporated association that teaches musicianship to children and young people aged 5 to 20.
Melbourne Youth Chorale is a community enterprise and its role is to share the gift of music with young people through choral practice, participation and performance.
We harness the transformational power of choral music to develop confident and well- rounded young people.
We are dedicated to enriching children’s lives by developing choral artistry in a stimulating, caring, and fun environment.
Excellence: We believe choral excellence is founded upon Zoltan Kodály's principles of music education.
Respect: We believe that each child has unique gifts and potential, and is capable of developing musical and vocal excellence through choral education.
Discipline: We believe that choral singing is an art of excellence and distinction requiring discipline of the person, the preparation and the performance.
Diversity: We value the growth that comes through embracing diversity in people, cultures and musical repertoire.
Collaboration: We recognize that by working together as a community of choristers, volunteers and staff, we are able to achieve outcomes we cannot reach alone.
Enjoyment: We seek to maintain an inclusive environment of fun and purpose.
Growth: We believe that choral education and performance are transformative and can alter the life experience of a child as they mature into adolescence, positively affecting their future.
Responsibility: We value prudent financial management acknowledging that this supports the choir to produce and perform at a consistently high level.
MYC offers a special learning environment. Choristers study a range of high quality choral music from throughout the ages, from unison works to complex and challenging contemporary repertoire. Young people develop an understanding of musical concepts (melody, rhythm, harmony, dynamics, form and style) and musical skills (singing, sight-reading and performance practice). Singing, listening and analysis are fundamental to rehearsals.
Why join Melbourne Youth Chorale?
- Have fun with other kids who enjoy the same things
- A strong training program through three levels of choirs
- We cater for children and young people from 5 to 20 years of age
- Highly trained and experienced teaching staff and conductors
- Affordability and value for money
- Local and interstate performance opportunities
- A music literacy program with milestones and awards
- Learn to read, understand and appreciate music as well as have fun
- A strong musical foundation for each child that can help them through to VCE music
- Singing and music have been shown to help reading and other academic skills
- Music promotes good mental health
- Form lasting friendships and a strong community through creating music together
Singing is a powerful means of expression, and we look forward to sharing it with you and your family.